I’ve been on a bit of a pretzel kick lately. Especially since it is so easy to throw a batch together and have them all baked up, buttery and golden brown in under an hour. Sometimes though, a plain salted or a cinnamon sugar pretzel just won’t do. Which is why I’m sharing this recipe for parmesan garlic pretzels. Cheesy, buttery, garlicy with hints of herbs – in other words, this is pretzel perfection. If you have been using my recipe for Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels, then this will be more of a recipe for toppings, as the dough recipe and baking instructions are the same.
Parmesan Garlic Soft Buttered Pretzels
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm Water
- 2 tablespoons melted Butter
- 2 cups boiling Water
- 4 tablespoons Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon Granulated Garlic (or 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian Herbs
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Salt (Kosher or large flake Sea Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
- pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
After dough has rested for 20 minutes, divide it into 8 sections. Roll each section into a long thin rope, you have the option of dividing each rope in half to make 16 small pretzels or you can make 8 large ones. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape, then place face down in the baking soda bath for 2 minutes, flip and soak for another minute.
While pretzels are soaking, melt butter and stir in garlic, herbs, salt and pepper (and red pepper flake, if using). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange pretzels on each. Brush pretzels with butter mixture, then sprinkle the tops with fresh grated parmesan cheese. Bake pretzels at 475 for 8-9 minutes (large), 6-7 minutes (small) or until golden brown. Remove from oven and enjoy!